Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Bachalorette Party-Done Halal

For those of you who are converts/reverts out there, you may have some old friends out there, from before you were Muslim, hearing that you are about to get married, who want to throw you a bachorlette party. The Western-Style Bachelor or Bachelorette party is a disgusting, awful, degrading thing for a Muslimah, so this of course isn't a possiblity. For the groom the Canadian-affair possibly involves strippers, last-chance flirting with women, excessive alcohal, or even being tied up naked and painted and left hitched to a telephone pole downtown by his friends [poor Hal]. For a woman it involves usually girls in matching t-shirts with suggestive things written on them, eating cupcakes with suggestively shaped sprinkles, drinking lots of alcohol and maybe seeing strippers or flirting with men. Occasionally, one of these affairs can even end a marriage before one even begins. Sooooooo.... For those of you looking for a way to end out your single days in a stylish, fun, and wholly Islamic manner we have.... the sleep over henna party!!!!!! Yay! (Believe me, you get to do a hell of a lot less of these once you are married---no one has time anymore).
This party involves sweets, friends in dresses (with pajamas packed), a whole lot of goodies, and henna being done for the bride and anyone else who wants to be painted. After the henna is done and dried the girls can swap for pillows and pajamas. It is also traditional to wax the bride before the henna party in Arabic countries for her upcoming wedding night. At most of these parties I went to the bride usually gives her friends and guests a themed token to remember the event, such as tiny ribbon bracelet to go with her lace themed wedding or ect... They usually aren't expensive, and her bestfriends chip in and buy them with her for everyone. Beats bachalorette t-shirts for me. On these nights, I also make the yummiest virgin-cocktails. Mmmmm. Yum. Try it. You'll love it, and have so much fun. Khaleeji pics taken from http://www.flamboyant.ae/

6 comments:

ammena said...

:) nice idea.. Ive been trying to think of something for before my wedding.. as there are no plans yet, its hard to have ideas but i know my friends in uk would love this!

Alixianna said...

Yay! Glad I could help: D. Wish I could come. D. LOL. My husband thinks I should plan weddings for a living but then, I'd only get to work for rich people so I don't think it'd feel right, spending so much money on one event. I like smaller, more intimate, and close-to-shariah affairs. Still, I'd make a useful guest at any wedding: D

Habayeb said...

i love that place in the picture! ok im def insha'allah gonna have sumthin like this!

Alixianna said...

And you should invite me: D

asiya said...

As salaam Alaykum sister! JazakALLAH for the tips!

Aasiyah said...

JazakALLAH for such a wonderful site, after days of ploughing the internet ( instead of writing up my dissertation) i came across this. InshALLAH i will be getting married in Dec in Cape Town, South Africa, and needed some ideas for my mehndi/ bridal shower/ bachalorette( all on one) party.I hope to see more hijab veiling styles that use a fascinator i would really like to wear that.